The rain it raineth in Berlin. But for the first time in many years I’m actually somewhat prepared. A few weeks ago, after yet more episodes of swimming in borrowed jackets that are much bigger than I am, I admitted to myself that as I grown up, it was about time that I bought a raincoat that a) fit and b) worked. I’m now the proud possessor of a bright green paclite which does an excellent job of cheering up grey days and keeping me dry. It is still a little bit big for me, but only so that I can fit lots of layers underneath for cold days*, the smaller size looked admirably svelte but there’s enough of my mother in me to make concessions to practicality, and at least it was a deliberate plan not just the mistaken expectation that I’ll ‘grow into it’**.
Other thoughts from the day:
- I remembered that I agreed to do another half marathon next year. Now I really do have to start running again.
- Actually, I need to do that anyway if I’m to have the legs for skiing – and climbing too so that I can remember how to balance
- I must admit to myself that I am spectacularly good at wasting time. I’ve taken my working hours right down at the moment and yet I’m still not managing to accomplish all that much. Hmm. Not something I can really put on my CV.
- the Eisbäre*** aren’t playing when LTN is coming to town, but he’s talked me into wanting to see them. Is it allowable to go without him?
- I’m reading too many books at the moment. This is my current reading list. It’s getting out of control. But at least I’m not the only one with the problem…
- To be scrupulously honest, this doesn’t even include the books which I have started but have been distracted from for a quite a while and therefore can’t really count as current. I tried to love the Kite Runner, I really did but I only got about halfway through. Possibly because I suspect it’s all going to end in tears.
*not that I was smart enough to actually put all those layers on today so I shivered a lot. But I’m getting there!
**that never happened
*** ice hockey team, duh!